Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, July 30, 2012

The Roadrunner

The roadrunner
comes tap, tap, tapping
at my window today.

He's tap, tap, tapping
for me
to come and play.

The roadrunner
is tap, tap, tapping
before he runs away.

    Roadrunners are funny, curious birds.  this on likes peeking in my bathroom window.  And when he is there, he wants to be sure he is noticed.  Hence the loud tapping on the window.  Their feet are interesting too.  There are four toes,two point forward, two back.  This helps the roadrunner get better traction when he runs.  What is your favorite bird? Can you write a poem about that bird today?

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    How large is a roadrunner? I've never seen a real one.

    I love cardinals. They cheer me with their red color. Bold and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    A roadrunner is a big bird. It is about the size of a chicken, just not as heavily built.
    This morning I saw and heard a beautiful goldfinch on the lemon tree. This variety is called Pink Lemonade because the fruit is really pink in color. But the pretty thing about it is the leaves are variegated. So, for me, it was like the bird was bringing the yellow to the lemons.
    I love cardinals too, but I've only seen them in the winter here.

    ReplyDelete